Finally got a bit of research done and planned out another piece to be worked on during Katherine’s naps (or Quiet Reading Times, as we call them here. “Nap” is a four-letter word. Or something like that.). Can now justify cheesecake time.
- 1/3 cup ground walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1/4 cup butter (I think. Might have been a bit more)
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 375g cream cheese (1.5 pkg)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder (or more. or less. to taste)
- 1/2 cup Skor bar pieces
- 10oz/300g soft caramels
- 2 tbsp whipping cream
- 6 oz/175g semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 c whipping cream
- 12 pecan halves
- Dump crust ingredients into food processor. Pulse to combine until dough forms lumps. Take out. Knead briefly. Pat into bottom of springform pan. Bake at 350F for 10min. Set aside to cool.
- Mix (in mixer) cottage cheese and sugar until smooth-ish. Add cream cheese. Beat well. Add eggs one at a time. Beat well. Add sour cream, vanilla and corn starch.
- Dump half of batter into another bowl. Add skor bar bits to that portion. Add cocoa powder to the stuff still in the mixer. Blend until blended.
- Dump half of skor bar mixture into pan with crust. Dump half of cocoa mixture on top of this. Use a knife tip to make swirls. Dump remaining white batter on top of swirled mixture. Dump remaining cocoa batter in. Repeat swirling.
- Bake at 325F for an hour or more, until sides are set and centre is jiggly, but not squishy. Set aside cool at room temperature. Leave in pan!
- In double boiler or bowl over a pot of water, melt caramels. Add 2tbsp whipping cream. Mix well. Pour over cake. Refridgerate for 30, or until caramel sets.
- In double boiler or bowl over pot of water, melt chocolate with cream. Don’t stir frequently. Remove from heat for a few minutes. Pour over caramel. Garnish with nuts. Leave ring on springform pan. Refridgerate for at least six hours, preferrably more like twelve.
- To serve, score chocolate shell with knife repeatedly before slicing. Keep refridgerated and in springform pan until ready to serve – can get gooey.