Sea Fever & Eye Candy

What with snow storms, birthday parties, Katherine waking in the wee hours and John’s grandmother being in hospital, the realisation that I wouldn’t get any work done this weekend dawned on me gradually as the weekend progressed. I was really hoping to snatch a few hours somewhere in there, but it didn’t happen. Hopefully I’ll be able to compensate during the evenings this week!

The one artistic redemption to the weekend occurred on Sunday, while I was en route to the supermarket. When possible, I take the shore road from Torbay into town, swinging along Marine Drive and Outer Cove. It’s marginally slower, but the views are spectacular and the traffic is considerably less. Had my camera with me and here’s what I serendipitously found:

Looking north across Torbay Harbour towards Church Cove.

Marine Drive Looking towards Middle Cove.

An interesting rock overlooking Torbay Harbour. I liked the contrast of textures as well as warm and cool hues.

This farm looks different when covered in snow….

The swirls on snow and the shadows created by the ridges of drifts have always fascinated me.

I liked the way the swirls in the snow echoed the layers and lines in the rock.

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song and the white sail’s shaking,
And a gray mist on the sea’s face, and a gray dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way, where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.

John Masefield

The following are a collection of photos taken on Middle Cove Beach. One of my favourite poems as a child was Masefield’s Sea Fever. The older I get, the more I understand how one can be inexorably drawn to the ocean. I couldn’t stop pushing the shutter, but managed to limit my posting here to about 1/20 of what I took…..

For those of you who know Middle Cove, I was standing against the base of the bank that leads up the the farm next to the parking lot and the surf almost reached me as it crept in on occasion. I’ve never seen it that wild there.

Advertisements

10 Comments Add yours

1. Valeri says:

What absolutely wonderful pictures. I had to do a double take when I read where they were as it seemed too near to home and yet I knew we didn’t have that scenery. We have a Torbay in Devon and there is a Church Cove just down the road from me on the way to St Ives. I love waves. What superb colours you have in your waves!

Val in the UK

2. vickyth says:

There is, of course, a completely reasonable explanation for the name similarities. The people from Torbay, Newfoundland were from Devon and settled here. They brough with them their marvelous ponies (a heritage breed here) and their nomenclature. I’m willing to bet that many of the surnames are the same – Lynch, Manning, Mahon, Ryan, and dozens more.

Church Coves are common around here and generally refer to steep-walled coves. Another Devon legacy.

3. Carol Dean says:

It’s a wonderment that you get any work done in the midst of such awe-inspiring scenery. Thank you so much for sharing. (And, may I ask, what camara do you use?)

4. vickyth says:

Hey Carol, I use a Sony Cybershot DSC S-60. It’s not a super-duper bells and whistles type of camera, but it does have manual settings. After years of shooting photos on 35mm, I’ve learned how light metre readings vary from camera to camera and have discovered that this particular camera gives much richer colours of skies and oceans when you underexpose slightly. Especially in strong light and when there are elements like snow (or water).
    You’re right about the scenery, though. It’s breath-taking even when you’ve lived here all your life.

5. sarai says:

I was thinking, as I travelled through the other end of Canada this week, just how beautiful the scenery was. Watching it and trying (futilely, on my part) to capture it was imperative, and it occurred to me that my enjoyment was a cry of love for my country and my surroundings. I get the same feeling from your pictures. Thank you!

(And, I was thinking of the same poem lately. It is eloquent.)

6. Maureen says:

Vicky
    I’m so glad I found your blog via the Fibre arts journals.Your ocean shots feed my soul;That John Masefiled poem has long been a favourite of mine………although our “tall ship” had no masts and twin diesel motors,but I did love manning the wheel in rough and stormy seas…..BLISS!

7. arlee says:

We often have spectacular waves and wild seas here on the West coast of Canada, but none so icily beautiful! Stunning shots, V!

8. Gemma Grace says:

Pristine beauty! I can smell the sea air and catch the frost on my cheeks. Envigorating for the soul. Thank you!

9. Verna Banks says:

Well, I just had my question answered. you are in NFLD. But
    you were in NB at one time weren’t you?
    Your pictures are beautiful. We have only been to N. once but travelled all over in our little rv. I was fascinated with Cape Saint
    Mary’s and the birds. Also Gros Morne.

10. vickyth says:

Sarai – the depth and breadth of beauty in Canada still causes me to catch my breath. The startling magnitude of the rockies is awe-inspiring.

Maureen – ocean photographs are addictive. I keep taking them, but they never *quite* capture the way it felt to me at the time, so I take just one more. And just one more. And… (although these shots are as close as I”ve come yet to reflecting the mood of the day).

Arlee – no. You have mountains……. and forests. I could live in BC….

Gemma Grace – thank you!

Verna – Yes, we lived in NB for a time. I always regret not having visited the northern shores of NB. Cape St. Mary’s is a truly beautiful place. The trick is getting there when it’s not foggy! Gros Morne is a trip that my husband and I want to do sometime in the next few years, probably when Katherine gets a bit older (she’s three now).