I spent this morning putting the finishing touches on the most recent book…
Primary construction is cotton fabrics and assorted threads. The pages are stabilised with Pellon heavy-weight stabiliser (not super heavy weight, just plaint heavy) and the covers are stabilised additionally with the pages from an old kids' board book. I found the cover on the last book flopped too much when used with a Coptic binding.
This tome is wrapped in an organza book cloth, which I think adds a nice touch. The tassel is silk, hand-dyed embroidery thread and the bead is glass.
The front cover features a panel made with foam, glue and paint, the combined effect of which is a metallic, embossed surface, without the weight and corrosion problems that can go with metals.
It's bound with a Coptic binding and the holes are reinforced with rivets this time. Bought a scrap-booking riveting tool and really like the effect. I also made leather clasps:
The clasps fasten like buttons, using glass beads:
The edging on the front and back covers looks quite red in these photos, but it's really more of a wine-magenta mixture. These pieces were added both to enlarge the cover so that it extended past the pages and to accentuate the clasps.
And here's the inside! Page one and the inside cover:
Pages 2 & 3:
Pages 4 & 5:
Pages 6 & 7:
Pages 8 & 9:
Pages 10 & 11:
Pages 12 & 13:
Pages 14 & 15:
Pages 16 & 17:
Pages 18 & 19:
Apologies for the pictures. I realise they're not the greatest, but my tripod is elsewhere and I wanted to get the book up and on the blog. 🙂