Frankly, this meme is one of the harder ones I’ve seen. Thanks, SkylarkD. I needed three cups of coffee to deal with this one. Not all of the effects listed below are positive…
5 Things Feminism Has Done For Me
- It lets me have a direct role in determining the political structure of my country, province and community. I can vote, which is more than my great-grandmother could do.
- I can spend my own money and own and dispose of property without the consent of my husband.
- I can use birth control without having to get a signed note from my spouse.
- My husband can take care of our child, change diapers, shop for groceries and do things that were traditionally delegated to women. This helps both of us, giving me time to work and pursue other activities and him a role in the household life and a strong bond with Katherine.
- It has given me the freedom to choose my career path, unlimited by perceived notions of what women can and should do. A corollary of this is that I am still female and, by default, must bear and nurse any children we have. Please understand that this is not necessarily a bad thing, just something from which no political movement can absolve women. Families are still expected to have children and women still bear them and are also expected to juggle a career with the same diligence as a man. Frankly, the superwoman myth is still rampant and impossible to live with. So feminism has given us freedom to choose to have more in our lives, but not reduced the other expectations nor entirely levelled the field insofar as family obligations go. I’m not sure that it ever could.
Am I grateful? Sure. Do I resent feeling like a yo-yo? Absolutely. I’m betting that many women do. I’m also betting that many men feel exactly the same way about increased expectations on them with regard to family life and no perceptible diminishing of employment obligations.
Whose opinions would I like to see? Just for curiosity, John, Ryan, Ryan’s wife, Sarai, & Craig . I’m curious as to the variety of perceptions out there….
Addendum: How could I forget Ellen in PEI, whose blog I read daily? Ellen, your prize for being the first to comment is getting tagged as well!
6 Comments Add yours
all good points Vicky and I agree with you on all points.
have a great day 🙂
lol – sorry for the tough assignment. Thanks for participating though! 🙂
Thanks for your list.. I’ll be posting the link to it in the SWC thread at our site.
I will answer this, btw. Just give me a day or so. I wonder if I’ll be sincere of flippant. Hmmmm, probably a touch of both, I should think…
I’m going to pass on this – I just wanted to let you know that so you didn’t think I was ignoring you!