Like most families, we don’t have a lot of spare time. Also like (or at least, I want to believe like) most families, we try valiantly to eat healthily and with as little processed food as possible. This becomes even more critical when two of the individuals are watching their food intake for the purposes of either weight loss/maintenance or fitness training.
Here is one of our staple pasta sauces, a sauce with an oven-roasted tomato base.
I often set this cooking during the afternoon, so that it’s ready for supper. It is fast, it is good and it is *exactly* what I want after a hard day’s work and an evening run.
- 4lbs Red Ripe Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil (note: you can reduce this to about half, if you like, but I found I actually wasn’t getting enough oil in my diet and needed the little extra)
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar, adjust to taste (a certain amount cooks off during the baking, I find)
- Garlic, .25 cup (remove)
- Chop tomatoes coarsely.
- Toss in shallow baking dish. I use a 9×12″ glass one.
- Stir in oil, chopped garlic and vinegar.
- Bake at 350 for a little over an hour.
- Turn off oven, leave in hot oven for a while longer.
- Serving Size: Makes 10-ish portions of roughly 2/3 cup. Maybe more, maybe less, depending on how much sauce you put on your pasta.
- Serve over cooked pasta (fresh is nice) with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Freezes VERY well. Reheats beautifully.
- About 100 calories per serving, excluding cheese and pasta
- Incredibly delicious!